Wednesday, February 09, 2011

WORLD CUP WOO HOO

Yep, taking my time with that 2nd cup of coffee... hee hee... but more specifically, we're right smack dab in the middle of covering a HUGE international World Cup Biathlon, and it's just a few miles down the road.
In addition to covering it for the paper, I'm also volunteering there!!! They asked me to help in "catering," which I found out today means "400 loads of dishes," but I had a blast anyway and met folks from all over, who were working, volunteering and competing. The festival and entertainment events started today; biathlon competitions start tomorrow. It's about 3 degrees outside, but I was working in a tent!
For those of you who don't live in the Land of Snow up near the very top of Maine like I do, Biathlon is a sport, beloved in Europe and popular in North America as well, which focuses on combined cross-country skiing and perfect rifle marksmanship (in other words, ski, ski, ski, then shoot!).
The World Cup is happening now in the St. John Valley. And it's VERY cool to have it here - the whole community is volunteering and coming together fantastically to make it happen. I'm not all that far away, and my office has encouraged us all to volunteer in the community this year, so I'm spending several of my volunteer hours at the World Cup.

More info: http://www.biathlonworld.com/en/

Better get to bed soon - gotta build up my energy, I'm volunteering again this weekend!! Stay warm!
:)
T

3 comments:

HORIZON said...

ski, ski, ski, then shoot!- lol
:)
That's a lot of dishes but good for your hands if you use the right type of washing liquid ;)
I lived for three years in Brunswick- my kids and l loved Maine the most out of all the states we lived in. It reminded me the most of Scotland.
Wish l'd been blogging back then- we could have arranged a visit!
Bests

Jenn said...

Can you believe I lived in New England all my life and have NEVER been to Maine, that is incredible....LOL....EVERYONE has been to Maine but me.

Oh well, now I am in WNY right next to Niagara Falls, so still cold and snowy. ;0)

Anyhoo, sounds like a neat experience and a blast meeting new people!


Jenn

Madison H said...

Appreciate the time you took to post this